As somebody who doesn’t have a background in stitching, there was loads I needed to educate myself about find out how to make costumes look the way in which they need to. One of many issues I needed to be taught was find out how to create these gravity-defying items of clothes that anime characters put on.
Create a standing collar on your cosplay through the use of a mix of interfacing and wire piping. Make the collar stiff and durable utilizing thick interfacing, then form the material by stitching some wire into the outer seam of the collar.
Be taught: make a collar arise cosplay
I’ll be trustworthy, my approach for creating gravity-defying collars is just not seamstress-approved. It isn’t the technical, right means of doing issues, but it surely will get the job executed and is pretty easy so any newbie can attempt it. This fundamental approach is one I’ve used totally on standing collars, nevertheless, it can be utilized to flared coats and capes to provide them a form.
This web page could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a small fee from qualifying purchases.
create a gravity-defying collar
To create a standing anime collar, we’re going to add some interfacing and wire to your costume collar. You should utilize this system with nearly any sample you buy, or you may create your individual customized collar sample.
Provides you will have:
- Your cloth
- Thick interfacing
- 12 gauge jewellery wire
- An iron
- Needle and thread
- Stitching machine (elective)
Since that is one thing I didn’t find out about after I first began cosplaying, I determine I’ll offer you a easy clarification that can assist you perceive what you’re doing and know what merchandise to buy.
Interfacing is used to stiffen items of material. Often, it will likely be areas which have the next likelihood of tearing, reminiscent of on sleeve cuffs, the strip of buttons on a jacket, and collars. It’s used so as to add stability to clothes, making it have a agency look and extra simply keep away from put on and tear.
Selecting your interfacing
Interfacing could be something from a really skinny layer that provides a small quantity of form to a flowing cloth, to a thick layer that’s barely bendable. In case you are making a collar that you just wish to stand upright for greater than 1-2 inches, I like to recommend utilizing one of many thicker interfacing choices.
You might be additionally going to see sew-in or fusible choices when buying interfacing. Fusible interfacing has one aspect that’s coated in tiny little dots. These are glue dots that may fuse to the material whenever you iron the interfacing. Normally, I like to recommend utilizing fusible interfacing. It’s a lot simpler to work with total, particularly when coping with thick interfacing.
Step 1: Reduce out your collar and interfacing
To start out out, merely lower your items out of your costume’s cloth and the interfacing:
- Reduce 2 items of the collar out of your costume cloth. Whether or not you might be following a stitching sample otherwise you created your individual collar design, be certain that to chop out two of the collar items so that you could sandwich the interfacing between them.
- Reduce 1 piece of the interfacing. This shall be sewn or fused in between the 2 collar items, so that you solely want one.
- Trim ¼ inch off the interfacing. In case you are utilizing thick interfacing, lower about ¼ across the total border of the piece. That is so that you could sew the collar collectively with out having to stitch by means of the thick interfacing.
Step 2: Sew or iron your interfacing to the within of your collar piece
For essentially the most half, I like to recommend utilizing fusible interfacing, particularly in the event you’re utilizing one thing that may be very thick. Nonetheless, in the event you select, you may sew your interfacing in place.
To iron your interfacing:
- Iron your cloth collar items.
- Line up the interfacing with the within (the fallacious aspect) of one of many collar items. Be certain the little glue dots on the interfacing are going through down, towards the material.
- Get a barely damp material and put it over prime of the interfacing. I often use a scrap piece of material that’s massive sufficient to cowl the ggstore.web don’t need it to be soaking moist, however the moisture will assist to maintain this material from burning within the subsequent step.
- Press and maintain the iron for 30 seconds. Begin at one finish of the collar and maintain the iron down. Then carry it and transfer to the following spot till you’ve gone over the entire collar. Examine the collar and repeat on any components the place the material and interfacing haven’t totally fused.
Step 3: Sew your collar collectively
Now, you merely wish to sew your collar collectively as traditional:
- With the fitting sides collectively (so that you’re wanting on the inside your collar), sew your items collectively. Don’t sew the underside fringe of the collar items.
- Go away a really small hole between the interfacing layer and your seam. This offers you just a little area to insert the wire.
- Flip the collar proper aspect out. Use a pin to tug the corners of your collar to make them pointy.
- Iron your collar piece to flatten the seam. Now you might be left together with your fundamental collar piece.
Step 4: Add wire and sew it in place
Relying on the scale and form of your collar, it’s possible you’ll not want so as to add wire. Normally, I like to recommend utilizing wire alongside your seam in case you are making a collar that comes up previous your chin, or if you would like a flared look to your collar. In any other case, you may skip this step and transfer on to step 5.
- Measure out your wire. Lay it alongside the outer seam of your collar to chop the right size. Add 1-2 inches on both finish to make use of when attaching your collar to your shirt.
- Pin the wire in place on the within of the collar. Be certain it’s laying flat in opposition to the material.
- Add some stitches to carry the wire. You’ll be able to sew alongside all the inside the wire, however I discover including a number of stitches each couple of inches is adequate.
Step 5: Connect your collar to the remainder of your garment
Now that your collar is completed, you simply want to connect it to the remainder of your shirt (or coat). In case you are utilizing a sample, you may change again to following the directions supplied with the sample packaging. Merely tuck the additional wires down the entrance seam of the garment so as to add stability to the collar.
When you don’t have a sample to comply with, that is the overall solution to connect your collar:
- Sew the outer layer of the collar to the garment. In case your shirt or coat has a lining, you’re solely stitching the outer layer of that garment to the outer layer of the collar.
- Tuck the wire down the entrance seam and sew in place. It will make the collar extra secure alongside the entrance of the collar neckline.
- Fold the inside layer of the collar. It’s finest apply to fold and iron this layer earlier than pinning it down.
- Sew the final seam. You should utilize a hidden sew right here if you wish to, however I have a tendency to stitch by means of all layers of the collar regardless that it will likely be seen on the skin of the garment.
Now all it’s a must to do is bend the wire to form your collar nevertheless you want to! The perfect factor is, one of these collar is totally machine cleanable (so long as your cloth is simply too). Nonetheless, you do wish to put it on a mild setting in order that the wire doesn’t come free.
Altering the search for different clothes with a flared look
If you wish to use this system for longer, extra flowing clothes (like a trench coat or cloak), I like to recommend utilizing a thinner interfacing, and a thicker wire. The thinner interfacing will nonetheless enable your garment to have a extra pure, flowing look. The thicker wire will have the ability to maintain a heavier load of material in place.