*This put up might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my disclosure to study extra.
All through historical past, folks have been carrying coin necklaces for luck and luck. A valuable gold or silver chain with a particular coin connected is a timeless addition to any jewellery assortment. It’s good for on a regular basis use and remains to be believed to advertise wealth and prosperity!
So, how are you going to flip your fortunate coin right into a cool necklace? There are two methods you can also make a coin necklace. A technique is to drill or punch a gap by means of the coin and the opposite method is to mount the coin in a bezel. In case you don’t thoughts placing a gap in your fortunate coin, then that is the short and simple approach to go. However, if damaging your valuable memento is an excessive amount of to bear, then the bezel methodology can be greatest for you. It’s a bit extra work, however you’ll discover it’s definitely worth the effort.
You’ll be able to put on only one single coin on one chain, add just a few charms or layer a number of necklaces for an actual type assertion.
The long-chain coin necklace can be nice for all seasons. Throughout the winter you may put on it over cumbersome knits and in the summertime it simply goes with any look. Add just a few talisman charms for a singular bohemian look good for seashore festivals!
A Fast Historical past Lesson on Coin Necklaces
There may be numerous sentiment and that means behind coin jewellery designs. Individuals have been making coin necklaces since in regards to the 1600s to offer to family members as significant mementos.
These “Tokens of Love” had been usually engraved with particular messages. The recipient would carry the coin or put on the necklace for good luck.
Troopers despatched abroad throughout the battle would incessantly ship distinctive silver and gold coin necklaces to their associates and kinfolk. When despatched to a partner or lover, it was sometimes called “sweetheart jewellery” to maintain the reminiscence of their love alive.
The cash the troopers used had been often from the nation the place they had been stationed. This made it further particular for the recipient.
It isn’t unlawful to place a gap in a coin, nonetheless after the coin has a gap, it might not be used as authorized tender. A coin necklace has tons of sentimental worth, however cannot be used as forex.
Except for their sentimental worth, coin necklaces make the right accent for any outfit. Whether or not you need to add a bit of glitz to an informal t-shirt and denims or want a easy, but elegant necklace for an evening out, the coin necklace is a good selection.
Find out how to Make a Coin Necklace – 2 Strategies
There are two totally different ways in which you should use to make a coin necklace:
- You’ll be able to punch a gap within the coin – Utilizing this methodology, you’ll basically be chiseling a gap into your coin.
- You’ll be able to drill a gap within the coin – This methodology requires a hand drill or a drill press.
Both methodology works properly, it simply relies on the supplies you have got available. Select the strategy that fits your fancy.
Methodology 1: Punching a Gap with a Chisel
Find out how to chisel a gap in a coin:
Lay the coin on a tough flat floor that gained’t simply break, like a rock or a strong piece of concrete.
Place a small chisel the place you need the outlet to be, roughly a 3rd from the highest of the coin. This would be the spot for the outlet.
Make sure that your chisel is appropriate for the steel. A multi-purpose chisel, like this set on Amazon, is ideal. (Make sure that to decide on the smallest chisel within the set to make use of for this mission.)
Gently faucet the chisel with a hammer till you see a small dent. Slowly improve the facility of your faucets to make the dent deeper and deeper.
Don’t punch during. Cease earlier than the coin is penetrated as a result of the chisel gained’t make a pleasant lower.
Take a pointy nail and place the tip of it within the middle of the dent. The nail will make a a lot better lower than the chisel. Hit the nail on the pinnacle till it pierces the coin.
Gently sand away any burrs across the gap to guard your self from scratches if you put on the necklace. You need the outer fringe of the outlet to be completely easy.
Would you like the coin to have the ability to slide round on the chain or keep put?
For a sliding coin, you will want a big leap ring that may simply slide round on the chain.
To maintain the coin in a single place on the necklace, use a small leap ring.
Yow will discover silver, bronze, and gold leap rings on Amazon. This set gives silver or bronze leap rings.
Open a leap ring and put it by means of the outlet. Shut the leap ring and put it in your chain. In case your leap ring could be very small, you’ll have to put it on the chain earlier than closing. Your new coin necklace is able to put on!
Methodology 2: Drilling a Gap with a Hand Drill or Drill Press
Find out how to drill a gap in a coin:
Choose your coin. It’s simpler to drill a gap by means of a skinny coin, however thicker ones work too.
Place the coin on a bit of hardwood. Softwood doesn’t work as properly and a metal floor gained’t can help you drill during.
In case you are utilizing a hand drill, clamp the coin securely to the floor.
With a drill press, clamp the coin underneath the drill bit within the holder.
Select the appropriate dimension drill bit for the scale of the outlet you need. You’ll be able to often decide this by eye.
Have a look at the diameter of the drill bit and determine if that’s the proper dimension in your gap. Maintain it as much as the coin to verify it isn’t too massive or too small.
Place the drill bit on the coin and gently press the set off of the hand drill. If the coin slips, cease instantly and tighten the clamp. In a drill press, set it at low.
Slowly begin drilling by means of the coin. Whether or not you might be utilizing a hand drill or drill press, you need to go very slowly. An excessive amount of pace or energy will ship the coin flying.
Gently sand across the gap on each side of the coin to take away any burrs.
Use a leap ring to connect your coin to your chain and also you’re finished! As talked about earlier, the scale of the leap ring will decide whether or not or not the coin can slide across the chain.
Metallic clamps may scratch the coin. You’ll be able to keep away from this by wrapping the periphery with some kind of tape. Masking tape works properly. Wrap the sides earlier than clamping the coin to forestall scratches.
Making a Coin Necklace with a Bezel
In case you don’t desire a gap in your coin, you may set it in a bezel.
You could have two choices:
- Purchase a bezel
- Make one your self.
Bezels are available numerous styles and sizes, reminiscent of customary spherical or sea theme. In case you actually need to get artistic, you may form your coin right into a teardrop or coronary heart form and use a bezel in a type of shapes.
Measure the diameter of your coin to be sure you purchase the appropriate dimension. If your bezel is a bit massive, don’t fear, it might at all times be adjusted.
However, whether it is too small, you’ll have some severe issues. You’ll have to select a smaller coin or get very artistic with becoming the coin into the bezel, which could be finished with somewhat chopping and soldering.
Find out how to Make a Bezel Setting
- Select your coin and your bezel wire.
- Information the bezel wire across the coin to see how a lot you want.
- You don’t should measure precisely. Having somewhat room to play is at all times a good suggestion.
- Reduce the wire to the size you want.
- Trim the peak of the wire to match the width of your coin. You need somewhat hanging over the sting to carry the coin in place, however not a lot that it covers the coin. You determine how a lot of the bezel you need to cowl the coin.
- You’ll be able to even make it flush. This implies you’ll have to make the ultimate match very comfortable to maintain the coin in place. You may even make jagged edges for a very distinctive impact!
- File each ends of the bezel wire fully flat, ensuring the ends match flush collectively.
- Apply a really small quantity of silver solder to the joint and thoroughly solder the ends collectively.
- Rinse the solder and place the coin within the bezel to verify it matches.
- Work on a strong, easy floor reminiscent of a metal block, not wooden. It will make it simpler to suit the bezel snugly across the coin.
- Sand any tough edges of the bezel the place you trimmed to get the appropriate peak. Until, in fact, you selected a jagged edge. Then you definitely don’t need to do any sanding on this half in any respect.
- The silver bezel could be very malleable, so it is best to be capable of push it over the sides of the coin together with your fingers.
- If not, very gently crimp the sides across the coin with a pair of pliers and pat it down with a rubber mallet.
- Gently pat down the bezel throughout each side of the coin.
- Clamp the bezel securely in a vise and really rigorously solder a leap ring onto the highest of the bezel setting.
- Open the leap ring and connect the setting together with your coin to your chain.
And that’s it! Two easy methods to make a coin necklace for your self or for somebody you’re keen on.
For a visible information on easy methods to make a bezel for a coin necklace, I extremely advocate this video by Esslinger and Firm on YouTube.