I’ve a daughter who’s obsessive about unicorns. I didn’t actually suppose a lot about unicorns earlier than I had youngsters however in the previous couple of years we’ve gathered unicorn smooth toys, ornaments, jewelry, video games and bedding – they’re taking up our home!
As my daughter loves them a lot, I believed I’d make her a really personal ‘made-by-mum’ unicorn miniature. Sadly, it didn’t go so effectively – learn on to thoughts out extra!
So, how do you make a unicorn out of polymer clay? There are many completely different strategies however to make most of them you’ll want:
- white or pearl clay polymer clay for the physique and colored clay for the hair (pinks and purples work effectively)
- black acrylic paint for the eyes and gold for the hooves
- glaze to provide the unicorn a shiny end
Then you definately simply comply with the steps beneath:
- Make the physique out of the white or pearl polymer clay. Use a bit of clay in regards to the measurement of a big marble and knead it so it’s simpler to work with. As soon as it’s good and smooth, roll it into an oval form and flatten the ends so it appears like a mini cocktail sausage.
- Subsequent, it is advisable make the legs utilizing a sculpting software. Select which aspect of the unicorn would be the backside and used your software to create a cross within the center and gently carve this deep sufficient to make 4 legs. When it’s accomplished it ought to look a bit however like a molar tooth!
- The following step is to create the top – take about half the dimensions of clay for the top that you simply used for the physique and roll this into an oval form and fasten to the physique. It could take a few makes an attempt to get the top to stay to the physique.
- Now it’s time to make the ears. Pinch off two small items of clay and knead these into oval shapes. Flatten them and pinch the top of every piece to make a fundamental leaf form. Use a ball software to create the indents within the ears and fasten them to the aspect of the top.
- Utilizing small items of colored clay, roll these out into brief string shapes and curl them utilizing your palms to make the hair for the mane and tail. To make it simpler, and for a thicker mane and tail, you possibly can roll every bit of polymer clay ‘string’ again on itself so it intertwines. When you’re prepared, connect the items of mane and tail to the unicorn utilizing a small ball software or needle software.
- You need to use the twisting approach above to make the horn too. Roll out a skinny piece of polymer clay about 1 cm lengthy, bend it within the center, twist the 2 strands collectively, pinch the highest and minimize off the underside to make a horn form.
- Now it’s time to bake – pop your mannequin within the over and bake at 130° for at the very least 20 minutes (it is a normal information – all the time examine on the packet of clay you’re utilizing for precise baking directions!)
- As soon as it has baked and cooled, add black dots of acrylic paint for the eyes and use gold acrylic paint for the hooves.
- End with a coat of Sculpey Glaze.
For a full tutorial, I adopted this implausible video beneath, however I believe my completed mannequin fell effectively in need of the proper unicorn this modeller makes!
The above appears tremendous straightforward, however it actually wasn’t – as you possibly can see beneath!
Expectation vs actuality:
My daughter is so candy that she genuinely liked the deformed unicorn I made so I suppose it’s type of mission achieved?!
The one good factor I might takeaway from my try can be to advocate utilizing Kato Polyclay Pearl polymer clay, it has such a beautiful, nearly sparkly sheen to it that it wouldn’t even want glazing.
My second try at making a polymer clay unicorn
I didn’t wish to quit, so I made a decision to attempt one other model of unicorn from one other tutorial. Once more, it didn’t go effectively! As I’d already used this system to make a zebra, I believed I’d go for the sitting down pose for a unicorn as effectively.
I discovered this tutorial beneath of this actually candy trying unicorn appeal and gave it a go myself:
Seems to be straightforward sufficient, proper? I clearly want extra practise as mine didn’t end up just like the one above, however it was enjoyable to make and it’s definitely one thing I can attempt once more! Subsequent time I’ll undoubtedly make the top extra of an oval form as mine was very spherical which made getting the eyes in the appropriate place very tough!
Expectation vs actuality:
Polymer Clay Unicorn Tutorials
In order for you extra step-by-step guides to creating a unicorn out of polymer clay, then I’ve scoured YouTube and located these tremendous cute, and tremendous enjoyable, step-by-step unicorn tutorials.
Winged polymer clay unicorn
The crafter has undoubtedly not gone for the ‘much less is extra’ method on this superior tutorial for a noticed winged unicorn. It appears actually easy however the finish result’s simply so cute.
Polymer clay unicorn horn
If you wish to make a cute piece of jewelry however don’t fancy making an attempt a complete unicorn, then this superior tutorial demonstrates easy methods to make a superbly colored unicorn horn appeal.
A unicorn bunny
The vlogger and crafter aCupOfCakeTV has accomplished a collection known as Kawaii Friday the place, because the identify suggests, they make a distinct tremendous cute animal each Friday. They’ve accomplished tonnes of unicorn and animal/object mashups together with the unicorn bunny beneath, a pandicorn (unicorn panda) and a unicorn donut! You may see the total compilation of polymer clay unicorn delights on this video.
They’ve additionally accomplished an precise unicorn too, in the identical kawaii model.
A miniature narwal
The simplicity of the tutorial beneath is about my degree so that is undoubtedly one I’m going to attempt: